Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Two For One Kitten Deal



A co-worker of mine announced at work she was fostering a mother cat and her five kittens for the Meriden, CT Humane Society. Michael and I had been thinking about adding a new family member for a while. So when she mentioned the kittens, I immediately called "first dibs" to pick one of the babies out to be ours when they were ready for homes. The "fat head" one was our pick, a beige chubby baby bigger than the others - a real brute. Blue eyes and little white mittens, I couldn't wait for him to be ready to come to our house.

4 weeks into fostering, my co-worker asked me to come to the shelter with her with the kittens she had brought to work. 3 of the 5 had "something" wrong with them. They wobbled, excessively. She didn't know what could be wrong, but knew it had to be serious. I went with her, and was shocked to see the 3 of them falling over eachother, unsteady a
nd unable to stand still without falling. The shelter advised her to bring them to the vet.

A vet said they most likely had CH, and that the mom most likely had distemper. My co-worker was advised to put the cats to sleep, because they would have a very hard life. She decided to wait since they were so little, and I insisted they were still so young to even be walking anyways and to give them more time.

A week after that, she came to work one day and said she had one of the kittens in the car and was taking it to be put to sleep. It's bobbling was severe, and she felt it had to be put down. I went out to the car to see just how bad this was.

One look in those sweet little blue eyes looking up at me was all it took. I said "No! Don't take her to the vet to be put down - I will take her." I knew my husband who loves cats as much as me would say the same thing, which he later did. She is so small, so sweet, and I just knew she needed a CHANCE to live, a chance to adapt to her handicap. She swept her paw trying to catch my hair, playing, and I knew I was doing the right thing.

That's how one cat turned into two! Thomas and Enya have been with us just two days, but already I can tell Enya is a MIRACLE baby and I need to share her story to help save other kittens like her.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Oh my...she is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Congrats on her arrival and kudos to you for giving her a life!